Elisa (@happyskinkitchen) has worked her magic once more on these ice lollies that will induce serious dessert envy. Read on to see the full recipe..
These are one of my favourite summer treats. I just love making my own ice lollies, they are so easy to make, much healthier than the shop bought ones and you can really experiment with different flavour combinations. I love the contrast of the freshness of the mint with the richness of the cacao. For the mint layer I have used avocado and coconut milk which creates the creamiest consistency. They are totally delicious as they are but if you want to make them extra special you can drizzle with melted dark chocolate and sprinkle some cacao nibs for that extra crunch.
For the mint layer:
1 can of full fat coconut milk chilled in the fridge overnight (very important, please don’t skip)
1 very ripe avocado
2 tablespoon of We Are Tea Peppermint tea
2 tablespoon of rice malt syrup or honey (if you use a darker sweetener like date syrup or dark agave it will result in a not so green colour)
For the chocolate layer:
2 frozen banana
2 tablespoons of coconut yogurt
3 tablespoons of raw cacao
About 50g of melted dark chocolate to drizzle on top
A handful of cacao nibs to sprinkle
1 tablespoon of liquid sweetener of your choice (optional -I didn’t use any as the bananas were sweet enough for me)
- Start by making the mint layer: After the coconut milk has been refrigerated overnight scoop out only the solid part which should be at the top when you open the can. (Don’t use the watery part, you can use that in smoothies or curries.)
- Place the solid coconut milk into a pan on a low-medium heat. Once the milk start to bubble add in the mint tea. Switch off the heat and let the mint tea brew for at least 15-20 minutes until the coconut milk has cooled down a bit.
- Place the avocado flesh into a blender or food processor and add the coconut milk and maple syrup. Blend until everything is smooth and creamy (you don’t want any avocado lumps in your ice lollies)
- Pour the mixture into some ice lollies mould until they are half full.
- To make the chocolate layer: Wash and dry the blender. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until you have smooth consistency. Pour the chocolate mixture into the ice lolly moulds until full. Tuck in the holding stick and leave them in the freezer overnight until solid.
- To pop the lollies out of the mould just place them under some hot water for few minutes. If using drizzle them with the melted dark chocolate and sprinkle some cacao nibs. Enjoy straight away!
Buy peppermint tea here.