Another perfect winter warmer breakfast from @happyskinkitchen read on for the full recipe!
This porridge is the perfect weekend breakfast, for those mornings when you have some extra time to make yourself an utterly luxurious brekkie. I love experimenting with new grains in my porridge and millet is definitely one of my favourite as it becomes really creamy but still has a crunch. The earl grey poached pears work like a dream in this recipe as they add natural sweetness and a warm note from the tea. It’s the perfect cosy breakfast for cold winter mornings.
For the Millet porridge:
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups of almond milk plus extra if needed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- A dash of vanilla extract
For the poached pears:
- 2 ripe pears
- 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 15gr of Earl Grey Supreme
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Melted chocolate
- Nuts & seeds
- Start by making the poached pears: peel them and remove the core.
- Place the water in a medium size pan and bring it to boil.
- Add the earl grey tea and let it brew for at least 10 minutes. Strain the tea and place it back into the pan.
- Add in the orange juice, coconut sugar and pop in the pears. Cook the pears on a medium to low heat for 10 - 15 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Remove the pears from the pan and set onto one side. Turn heat to medium-high until the liquid starts to bubble.
- Keep cooking and stirring until the liquid become like a syrupy kind of consistency. Leave it onto one side while you are making the porridge.
- Heat a small pan over medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until it melts. Add in the millet and lightly toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the porridge occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- The millet should be quite soft but still with a subtle crunch. If it’s too hard add more almond milk and cook for few more minutes.
- Serve the porridge straight away topped with the poached pears, the earl grey syrup and the toppings of your choice.