December is here, and that calls for ALL the Christmas baking we can squeeze in, amongst all of the festivities, tea drinking and present wrapping! Luce Hoser, 'What Luce Eats' created this BEAUTIFUL Earl Grey & Cinnamon Christmas Malt Loaf with the cutest gingerbread men and we're obsessed!
1 teaspoon of We are Tea loose earl grey
90ml boiling water
1 large banana (mashed)
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
50g light brown sugar
130g malt extract
300g plain flour
50ml plant milk alternative
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
pinch of salt
dairy free cream cheese frosting
for the gingerbread men
25g dairy free butter (melted)
125g plain flour (I used gluten free)
35g light brown sugar
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of flaxseed plus 2 tablespoons of water left to sit for 10 minutes)
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
150g Icing sugar
2 tablespoons of aquafaba
1. In a bowl, add the loose tea and 90ml of boiling water and let brew for 5 minutes before
removing the loose tea through a sieve or tea strainer.
2. Add the raisins to the tea water and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and grease a loaf tin.
4. In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and add the light brown sugar, baking powder,
cinnamon and salt.
5. To the bowl with the raisins in, add the mashed banana, malt extract and milk. Combine.
6. Empty wet ingredients into dry and combine thoroughly, before emptying into loaf tin.
7. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
8. Meanwhile make the gingerbread men by combining the flour, light brown sugar, ground
ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder and ground cloves to a bowl.
9. In a separate bowl combine the butter, molasses, flax egg and vanilla extract.
10. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine. Use hands to mould the dough into a
11. On a lightly floured surface use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to approximately 1/2 cm
12. Using a small gingerbread man cutter cut the dough into approximately 10 cookies.
13. Place them on lined baking trays and into the oven for 10 minutes.
14. Take the loaf and the gingerbread men out of the oven to cool and meanwhile using an
electric or hand whisk combine the icing sugar and aquafaba.
15. Pour the icing into a piping bag and cut a tiny hole in it. Pipe on decorations of choice onto
16. Smother the loaf in dairy free cream cheese, before placing the gingerbread on top.
17. Sprinkle with some extra cinnamon and enjoy.